Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Guggenheim Exhibition-- Maurizio Cattelan: All

I know this post is pretty late since Ive returned from NY almost a week ago, but I wanted to do this exhibit justice. I went to SO many museums and exhibits while I was in NY but Maurizio Cattelan's retrospective exhibit "All" at the Guggenheim was hands down my favourite, and, dare I say it, perhaps one of my favourite exhibits I have ever been to in my entire life. Although I've seen (and loved!) his more iconic pieces such as the taxidermy work, sculpture of  Pope John Paul II hit by a meteorite, Hitler dressed as a school boy and in a praying position, JFK in his coffin, and the shoot he did with Linda Evalgelista for W in 2009 I've never really followed him much.

Well, what a better way to catch up than to view EVERYTHING all at once in the massive rotunda at the Gugg?? "All" displayed 128 pieces of his work, pretty much everything he's done since 1996. There was just SO much to see, I think I spent several hours just exploring the exhibit from every level! I think I definitely appreciated seeing his work in this way more than I would have with a typical gallery set up where the pieces are showcased separately. Lots of pictures below, but I'm not going to bother putting it under a cut because its all amazing.










(Images courtesy of NYtimes and Art Observed)
Not only am I now a total fan of his work, I am totally in love with his prankster antics! For example, for his exhibition at the de Appel arts center in Amsterdam, he stole the entire contents (the art exhibit, filing cabinets, furniture, etc) of Galerie Bloom, a nearby gallery and titled the work "Another Fucking Readymade" (1996). BAD. ASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment